This policy may change from time, but if you are accessing this statement from the current version of our website you are reading the latest version.
We take the security of your data and access to our website and portal very seriously. Various methods are used to keep data and access to the website safe and secure.
Your data – what we collect and store
When you join the STEG website and create a user account, CEPR collects the following information that you voluntarily provide:
- Email address
- First and Last (Family) names
- Date of Birth
- Institutional affiliation
- Institution address
- Telephone number
This information is used to uniquely identify you as a user on the website. We also use 'Cookies' to store your user privileges locally on your browser to enable us to provide the correct content for you.
By voluntarily creating an account you are consenting to the storage and use of your data for the purposes of using the STEG Website.
If you work for an organisation which is a corporate member of CEPR, an account may be created for you based on information provided to us by your employer. In these cases, you have the right to unsubscribe to any email we send you.
Other types of information
- Address information. If you supply it (it is not mandatory) we record your physical address.
- Academic and/or Corporate Affiliation – The institution you work for.
- Log data. When you log in to our servers, we automatically record information that is sent to us by your browser (including mobile device). This data includes the date and time of your visit, your IP address, the address of the web pages you visited whilst on our site, and the type of browser you used. We use Google Analytics (see below) to help us understand aggregated visitor information and this may include Geo-location information depending on your browser settings.
We do not restrict the use of our website to users above a certain age because we feel that none of our content contains themes that could be deemed harmful to young people.
How we use your information
We use your information in the following ways:
- To provide you with access to the website
- To provide you and STEG with a record of website usage e.g. applications
- Where applicable to your involvement with STEG's activities, to provide you and STEG with a record of service usage
- To keep the website secure
- To communicate with you when you request it e.g. a customer query
- To communicate with you in the event of a technical or security issue
- To communicate with you about other areas or services of STEG that you may be interested in e.g. academic meetings and events
- To comply with any lawful request for data
Some communications about your account, security and other administrative reasons cannot be opted out of as they are necessary to provide you with secure access to the website and portal. A good example is a password reset or security issue.
We can close your account at your request and delete your data.
Other types of information
We use other kinds of information such as log data to analyse our site's usage in order to make improvements. Services such as Google Analytics provide us with aggregated usage data that is not identifiable to an individual user account.
In order to comply with internationally accepted best practise and with the law, we use MailChimp to send updates regarding our events or other activities to our registered users. MailChimp is certified to the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework. By creating an account you accept that your data may be held by MailChimp outside of the EU. You have the right to opt out of these emails and have your data deleted. Any email you receive from us via MailChimp will give you the facility to unsubscribe.
Sharing and Disclosure
We do not share your information with, or sell to, third parties unless:
- It is due to a lawful request under UK law e.g. a court order.
- To protect STEG or enforce our rights in the event of a dispute or security breach
We may share aggregated data that is not identifiable to an individual user for marketing or research purposes.